Educational Psychology Telephone Consultation Service

Adult Social Care

Local authorities have to make sure that those most in need receive the highest level of support, and that everyone is treated fairly. West Sussex uses national guidelines called 'eligibility criteria' to help us understand whether people have eligible social care needs. This applies to people needing social care support and to carers.

When moving between adult and children services a new assessment will be done.

An assessment will help review what care and support you/your young person may need. It is important for you to be involved in your assessment. You know better than anyone what you need to life a good life.

How do I request an assessment from Adult Services?

If your young person is over 18 and not known to Social Care go through the Adult Care Point by either:

  • completing the online form
  • or calling 01243 642121.

    If you are and adult and known to Social Care speak to your Social Worker.

    Appealing a decision

    An appeal is a request for a review of a decision(s) taken by local social care officers about your eligibility to receive funded social care, your assessments, your personal budget or your support plan. It is one of a range of options for dealing with concerns or complaints.

    We try to make sure that we always provide a high-quality service and sort problems out straight away wherever possible, but we know that there may be times when you are not satisfied. Our appeals process provides a simple way for you to request a review of the decision(s) and to receive a quick response.

    Read the easy read version of the document here

    Where can I get independent impartial support?

  • West Sussex Parent Carer Forum an independent charity run mostly by parent volunteers.
  • Reaching Families a parent-carer led charity established to "empower, inform and care for parents who have published the book Making Sense of Adult Life
  • SEND Information, Advice and Support Service provides impartial information, advice and support to parents and carers of children who have special educational needs and/or disabilities and the young people themselves

    Where can I find more information?

  • Connect to Support a site for anyone in West Sussex who is over 18 and thinks they need some social care help to live independently. It is also for people who are caring for someone.
  • YourSpace West Sussex
  • Care Act 2014 Legislation
  • Care Act 2014 Easy read version

    Comment or Complain about adult social care

    Let us know what you think of the adults' social care service you've received.

    Raise a Concern about an adult?

    What to do if you think an adult is being harmed, abused or neglected.

    If you think the danger is immediate phone the police now on 999!

  • use our online adult safeguarding alert form
  • complete the Adult safeguarding concern form and email it to [email protected] Adult safeguarding concern form (Word, 37KB)
  • phone Adults’ CarePoint on 01243 642121.

    Further information on what adult abuse or neglect is and the things you can do to help yourself can be found on West Sussex Connect to Support. and the West Sussex County Council website

    What is the future of adult social care?

  • The LGA green paper for adult social care and wellbeing