SEND Code of Practice
This statutory code contains:
- details of legal requirements that you must follow without exception
- statutory guidance that you must follow by law unless there’s a good reason not to It explains the duties of local authorities, health bodies, schools and colleges to provide for those with special educational needs under part 3 of the Children and Families Act 2014.
The code, which applies to England, is for:
headteachers and principals governing bodies school and college staff special educational needs (SEN) coordinators early education providers local authorities health and social services staff This document replaces the ‘Special educational needs (SEN): code of practice’ 2001. The 2001 code still applies for those who have a SEN statement under part 4 of the Education Act 1996, rather than an education, health and care (EHC) plan under the Children and Families Act 2014.
- Alternative Provision
- Special Educational Needs (SEN) Information Report
- Best endeavours
- Progress 8: the challenge of meeting the curriculum needs of young people with SEND
- SEND Inspection
- Children and Families Act
- Mental Health in Education
- The Equality Act
- School exclusion
- Residential special schools and colleges: support for children