Barnardo's Moving Forward Project West Sussex Health
Barnardo’s Moving Forward Project West Sussex Health works with Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust to empower young people aged 14 - 25 years old who have a disability or learning difficulty living in West Sussex.
Young people will be supported to access local community resources and have the opportunity to build their skills, empowering them to take control of their individual health needs.
What we do:
- Barnardo’s Health Skills Personal Support offers individual tailored packages of support which is young person led and based on their assessed needs across West Sussex.
- The Healthy Lifestyles youth group is a 8 week programme which runs twice a year across West Sussex. Whilst focussing on young people’s health needs, young people will become more independent, increase their confidence and expand their social circle.
- Staff will support young people to explore and develop healthy life skills within a safe environment. The youth group is a face to face service.
- Staff have over 30 years combined experience of working with young people who have a variety of disabilities or learning difficulties.
- Barnardo's Moving Forward project uses venues that are accessible to all with allocated parking for parent/carers to drop and collect their young people. Staff are trained in alternative communication aids such as Makaton, PECS and POD books
Our users say:
“My son has changed his eating habits, going from having fizzy drinks to drinking water and having strawberries instead of crisps. I think this is a great service and I am truly thankful for it. My son has loved coming every week".