Barnardo's Moving Forward Project West Sussex Health
Barnardo’s Moving Forward Project West Sussex Health works with Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust to empower young people aged 16 - 25 years old who have a disability or learning difficulty living in West Sussex.
Young people will be supported to access local community resources and have the opportunity to build their skills, empowering them to take control of their individual health needs.
What we do:
- Barnardo’s Health Skills Personal Support offers individual tailored packages of support which is young person led and based on their assessed needs across West Sussex.
- The Healthy Lifestyles youth group is a 8 week programme which runs twice a year across West Sussex. Whilst focussing on young people’s health needs, young people will become more independent, increase their confidence and expand their social circle.
- Staff will support young people to explore and develop healthy life skills within a safe environment. The youth group is a face to face service.
- Staff have over 15 years combined experience of working with young people who have a variety of disabilities or learning difficulties.
- Barnardo's Moving Forward project uses venues that are accessible to all with allocated parking for parent/carers to drop and collect their young people. Staff are trained in alternative communication aids such as Makaton, PECS and POD books
Our users say:
“My son has changed his eating habits, going from having fizzy drinks to drinking water and having strawberries instead of crisps. I think this is a great service and I am truly thankful for it. My son has loved coming every week".
SPA Workshop - Personal Hygiene and Well-being
A interactive workshop day for 16-25 year olds who have a disability or learning difficulty to explore how to maintain their personal hygiene and well-being. Young people will be able to make their own bath bombs at Lush in Crawley before coming together to explore positive steps towards better personal hygiene. Young people will be able to take part in hand reflexology and lavender relaxation a
Healthy Eating and Fitness Workshop
A interactive workshop day for 16-25 year olds who have a disability or learning difficulty to explore how to maintain a healthy diet and improve your fitness. Young people will be able to take part in Swimming and Zumba before coming together to explore positive steps towards eating a more healthier diet and the benefits of exercise. Booking is required to attend this event and a booking form
Sexual Health, Drug and Alcohol Awareness Workshop
A interactive workshop day for 16-25 year olds who have a disability or learning difficulty to explore Sexual Health, Drug and Alcohol awareness. Young people will be able to explore how to stay safe when it comes to their sexual health and take part in activities to understand how drugs and alcohol can affect our bodies and the dangers around taking drugs. Booking is required to attend this eve