Reaching Families, a parent-carer led charity
Reaching Families is a parent-carer led charity established to "empower, inform and support parents and families of children & young people with special educational needs and disabilities in West Sussex." We achieve our mission through the delivery of information, training and peer support to parent-carers.
What we do:
- Information: Making Sense Of It All - parent guide covering issues from birth to adulthood available in paperback and ebook format Factsheets and animations - covering a wide range of subjects and issues on SEND
- Training: Free workshops on a range of subjects including anxiety, ADHD, ASC, behaviour, benefits, education, resilience, sleep, etc. Plus 2 courses - Making Sense of It All Foundation Course & Making Sense of Wellbeing. Delivered in person and via zoom
- Benefits Advice Service: Supporting parents of children and young people with SEND applying for Carers Allowance, Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Personal Independent Payments (PIP). 1-2-1 advice sessions and support with editing draft applications
- Face2Face Befriending: Our team of specially trained volunteer befrienders provide emotional & practical support to parents during the period of their child’s diagnosis, help them find out about and access other services and prepare for the journey ahead
- Umbrellas: Parent support groups monthly in Billingshurst, Littlehampton, Worthing and weekly, via Zoom Providing a supportive, relaxed and non-judgemental environment in which parents can swap experiences, share information and resources
Our users say:
"Reaching Families offers a unique product in West Sussex. It is comforting to know that the organisation is parent carer led but offers practical tools to assist us in our day to day lives"
Age Range: 0–25
Free to use?
01903 366 360
07845 648 518 Email this service
49 Beach Road,
I attended the Reaching Families workshop on Sensory Integration in Worthing led by Helen Cottell yesterday. This was time well spent as it was an excellent workshop full of really interesting, useful and relevant information, that covered practical advice as well as the theory behind it. Highly recommend, especially if you have a child with sensory issues.
Great course today about send support at school. Feel I have many more strings to my bow
A very big thank you to Reaching Families for organising the 'Making Sense of Benefits' workshop. Lizzie from Amaze who led the course was absolutely brilliant. Even if your child already gets DLA this workshop is still very useful. I now feel much more confident about tackling my daughters forms when it has to be renewed. Can't recommend it enough!