Reaching Families, a parent-carer led charity
Reaching Families is a parent-carer led charity established to "empower, inform and support parents and families of children/young people with special needs and disabilities in West Sussex." We achieve this by the delivery of information, training and support groups to parent-carers.
What we do:
- Making Sense Of It All - this comprehensive parent-carer guide provides vital information across a wide variety of subjects including diagnosis, benefits, education, social and leisure activities etc. Also contains a directory of local and national groups
- Factsheets - we have published two series of factsheets (i) localised factsheets on major childhood disabilities that combine clinical information with local information on relevant local services (ii) a variety of localised factsheets on other issues
- Training Roadshow - we deliver a series of workshops at venues and locations across West Sussex and via zoom. Subjects covered include Understanding Challenging Behaviour, DLA/PIP, Education, Sensory Issues and Stress/ Resilience.
- Umbrellas - we run 3 support groups for parents or carers of a child or young person with additional needs or a disability in Billingshurst, Littlehampton and Worthing. We also run weekly zoom Umbrellas meetings.
- Befriending - provides emotional and practical support to parent-carers of children during the period of their child’s diagnosis. Our team of trained befrienders can help parents learn more about their child’s diagnosis and prepare for the journey ahead.
Our users say:
"Reaching Families offers a unique product in West Sussex. It is comforting to know that the organisation is parent carer led but offers practical tools to assist us in our day to day lives"