Reaching Families: A parent-carer-led charity
Reaching Families is a parent-carer-led charity established to empower, inform and support parents and families of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities in West Sussex. We achieve our mission through the delivery of information, training and peer support to parent-carers.
What we do:
- Information: Making Sense Of It All - parent guide covering issues from birth to adulthood available in paperback and ebook format. Factsheets and animations - covering a wide range of subjects and issues on SEND.
- Training: Free workshops on a range of subjects including anxiety, ADHD, ASC, behaviour, benefits, education, resilience, sleep. Plus 2 courses - Making Sense of It All Foundation Course & Making Sense of Wellbeing. Delivered in person and via Zoom.
- Benefits Advice Service: Supporting parents of children and young people with SEND to apply for Carers Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, and Personal Independent Payments. 1-2-1 advice sessions and support with editing draft applications.
- Face2Face Befriending: Our team of specially-trained volunteers provide emotional and practical support to parents during the period of their child’s diagnosis, help them find out about and access other services and prepare for the journey ahead.
- Umbrellas: Parent support groups monthly in 6 locations around the county and fortnightly, via Zoom. Providing a supportive, relaxed and non-judgemental environment in which parents can swap experiences, and share information and resources.
Our users say:
"Reaching Families offers a unique product in West Sussex. It is comforting to know that the organisation is parent carer led but offers practical tools to assist us in our day to day lives"