The Oak Community Project
The primary focus of the Oak Community Project is to provide support to adults with learning disabilities to develop social and practical skills through active participation within the local community. The Oak Community Project is unique and particularly innovative. We are proud to offer a person centred service that responds directly to customer feedback and input, and a client committee meets every month to discuss all aspects of the service.
What we do:
- • The Oak Community Project maintains an allotment, several raised beds, and a Greenhouse located nearby to the project in Rustington. The produce is grown naturally and sold at market through our links with the local WRVS.
- • Community Inclusion – incorporating independent travel skills using public transport, independence skills and supported employment opportunities. We also offer opportunities which enhance wellbeing and integration through developing skills in sports.
- • Our life skill activities are both buildings and community based. We have developed good connections in the community which offer work based activities for people to gain work experiences, for example the Empty Plate Café.
- • Photography – we exhibit our work and have won prizes for our photos. We use the photos to create goods that we can sell.
- • Beach Cleaning – we work as a team to keep the local beaches clean and safe for everyone to enjoy.
Our users say:
“The OCP is a highly valued service in this local community” “The Staff are professional and always courteous” “The OCP promotes independence” “The Staff are dedicated” “The OCP is a safe place” “My son has achieved more than I thought"