Expert Parent Programme - Getting the most from working with health professionals for your child
The Expert Parent Programme aims to help parents understand the (health) system better exploring Shared Decision Making as a process to getting the best outcomes for your children. Parents improve their skills and knowledge to navigate and manage the health system for your child including both physical and mental health wellbeing. Understand how you can be involved and support a good transition from Children's to Adults Health Services. Skills learnt are life-long and transferable!
What we do:
- The Expert Parent Programme has 3 parts: an interactive workshop, self directed on-line learning modules and many free resources. The workshop covers person-centred approaches, unique knowledge of your child, being clear on outcomes and legal rights
- Also covered is Understanding the Local Health System,Who's Who and how they help, Needs versus Rights, giving power feedback, making compliments or complaints, and building effective working partnerships with clinical and other health professionals.
- There are different workshops: a core one covering all above, for children who might need to use mental health services (CAMHS) and for children with behaviour that is challenging. There is also new workshop for children with Complex Health Needs.
- The Expert Parent Programme was co- developed by parent carers and NHS England. The national programme is hosted by Council for Disabled Children and delivered by accredited parent carers trainers. Workshops can be face to face or virtual.
- Please explore information and many useful free resources found on the webpages. https://councilfordisabledchildren.org.uk/our-work/whole-child/practice/expert-parent-programme