1 YoungMinds (Young Minds) Crisis Messenger
The YoungMinds crisis messenger service provides free, 24/7 crisis support across the UK. If you are experiencing a mental health crisis and need support, you can text YM to 85258.
We aim to connect every texter to a trained volunteer in less than 5 minutes to provide support in a crisis. They will listen to you and help you think through how you’re feeling, and will aim to help you take the next steps towards feeling better.
What we do:
- Texts are free from EE, O2, Vodafone, 3, Virgin Mobile, BT Mobile, GiffGaff, Tesco Mobile and Telecom Plus. This service is powered by our trusted partner, Crisis Text Line.
- The trained volunteer will introduce themselves, reflect on what you’ve said, and invite you to share how you’re feeling. You’ll text each other, only sharing what you feel comfortable with.
- By asking questions, listening to you and responding with support, they will help you think through your feelings until you both feel you are now in a calm, safe place. You might be signposted to other services, so that you can continue to get support.
- Our crisis messenger service could help with urgent issues such as: Suicidal thoughts; Abuse or assault; Self-harm; Bullying and Relationship breakdown.
- You can text us free and anonymously – although if the volunteer believes you are at immediate risk of harm, they may share your details with people who can provide support.