Autism and Social Communication Team (Inclusion)
The Autism and Social Communication Team (ASCT) are a small specialist team of Advisory Teachers (ATs) and Specialist Learning Support Assistants (SLSAs). We aim to maximise high quality, local, inclusive education for all children and young people (CYP) with Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC) and Social Communication Difficulties (SCD). We enable, challenge and advise WSCC maintained Mainstream schools and Academies so that best outcomes are achieved for CYP with ASC and/or SCD.
What we do:
- Promote the educational, social and emotional development of children and young people with ASC and SCD (with or without a diagnosis).
- Provide advice, support to mainstream schools and academies within West Sussex - through CARMs (Consultation and Review Meetings ) and Individual Pupil Consultations with school staff, ensuring pupil voice is included .
- Referral is via the school. Further information, guidance and resources and the referral form for schools can be found on the West Sussex Services For Schools website.
- We work in partnership with parents, professionals within the educational setting and others involved with the child's development. A team WIKI is available with further information and resources.
- Provide training to staff and parents on Autism and interventions including Awareness of ASC; Sensory Differences, EarlyBird Plus, Schools Autism Aware Award. The service is delivered through both face to face and remote meetings .
Our users say:
"I never thought he would be so happy and involved in school, even attending clubs!" "Attending the training has changed our lives completely! We have learned so much and are better equipped to deal with situations and we all enjoy life so much more!"
Age Range: 4–19
Free to use?
For more information, and to read about how to access this service, visit:Local Offer webpage
We are only 2 weeks into the NAS Earlybird Plus course which is run by an Educational Psychologist and the Social Communication Team but already it is proving so helpful for us as a family and also helping to improve communication and consistency with my sons school. I would recommend the course to anyone with a child aged 4-9yrs in mainstream school. You get a place for upto 2 carers (parents/grandparents/childminders etc) plus 1 professional from your childs school. In our case my sons class TA is doing the course with us. Not only does the course explain Autism, it allows plenty of discussion with the professional from your childs school about how Autism affects YOUR child specifically. We have already been able to come up with some new strategies to try and my sons class TA is now aware of so many more signs that he is anxious and struggling, when previously teachers didn't always understand and see it.