Compliments, Concerns and Complaints about a school

If you have a compliment about your child’s school

If you feel that your child’s school or certain members of staff are working hard to ensure your child’s education is the best it can be, they would love to hear from you. As well as contacting them directly you may also want to consider writing to the Governors and/or putting your views on Ofsted using the Parent view form (see below)

If you have a concern or complaint about your child's school

If you are unhappy with something that has happened at your child’s school, raise your concerns or complaint to the staff involved first. It's important to do this before taking any further action as it gives them the opportunity to resolve your concerns informally. Most concerns or complaints are resolved at this first stage. However, if they are not resolved you may wish to raise a formal complaint. All schools have a complaints policy that outline the process to be able to do this and should be available on their website or by contacting the school office. There are different stages to a complaint, depending on what or who your complaint is about and what has already been done to try and resolve it.

If the complaint reaches the Head Teacher Stage and has still not been resolved then the next stage would be contacting the Governing Body responsible for the school. Contact details should be in the school’s complaint policy or on the written response from the Head Teacher.

West Sussex County Council also have more information on how to make a formal complaint.

Download the Department for Education's guidance on complaints for maintained schools, maintained nursery schools and local authorities.

SEND complaints: guidance for parent carers with children in education

SEND complaints: guidance for young people aged 16 to 25 in education

Ofsted's Parent View

Local Government and Social Care Ombudsmen – Formerly LGO)

Support with concerns or complaints

If you feel that you need help with sharing your concerns with the school, or making a complaint, then please contact West Sussex SENDIAS (SEND Information, advice and Support) Service on 0330 222 8555 or by emailing [email protected]